Breaking Waters And Birthday Cake Guilt

Today is 9th February 2017 and all I can think about today is how my day panned out exactly 2 years ago. I can remember every little detail down to what we ate and what people said to me.

The 9th February 2015 was my first official day of maternity leave. I had left work a lot later than with my previous pregnancy as waited being sat around waiting but I still had a couple of weeks left before baby Oscar was due to make an appearance. I had planned a day with my little sister Cheryl. We we going to my sister in laws to have our hair cut and then shopping to pick up the last little bits I needed for my hospital bag but things were not gong to go to plan.

At about 8 am I dropped my eldest off at nursery as I was getting back in the car my waters broke, yes that's right first day of maternity leave and my waters break. My husband is a lorry driver and that day was due to be about 4 hours away when I managed to get hold of him his drops had been changed last minute and luckily he was only an hour away. I think fate might have had is hand in that. Although my waters had broke I wasn't in labour. My sister came to sit with me and just kept asking 'Are you in pain yet?' and we spent most of the morning sorting things out for her wedding.

When my husband came home we decided to ring the hospital and they gave me an appointment for later that day. as we still had time to kill be drove to KFC for some dinner as I did not want to go to hospital on an empty stomach if I had to stay in, I hate hospital food and really struggle to eat it on the other hand hubby loves it, yes he is that strange. The best meal in hospital I ever has was when I was in labour with my eldest Ethan as I'd moved from the ward to delivery at tea time and been forgot when the midwife rang the kitchen they didn't have much left so made me sausage, chips and beans. I cab remember parking up outside KFC for hubby to ask me to go into order which he was told 'No I feel like I'm peeing myself you can go in.'

After a frantic 1/2 hour trying to pack my hospital bag we made it to hospital to be monitored for a couple of hours and to confirm that my waters had broken. We left hospital be leaflets, temperature sticks ti take my temperature every few hours to monitor for infection and to report back to 7am the next morning.

Back to the present day and I have a dilemma - Birthday cake do I buy one or do I make one. Before I had children I baked lots. In the past I had made birthday cakes for my nephews and my niece but not yet made one for any of my children. For Oscar's birthday last year I bought a decorate your own cake and 'made' him a Ben and Holly cake but this is the closest I have come to making one of my children a birthday cake,



On the back of the guilt of not actually making any of my children a birthday cake I decided to make a Fireman Sam cake in the shape of Jupiter, quite ambitious. I'd checked out pintrest weeks before and today was the day I was making the cake. Self doubt kicked in along with my obsession with not spending loads of money if I can help it and I talked myself out of making the Fireman Sam cake and picked a more simple design which involved lots of sweets and chocolate as decoration. As we only have a small kitchen I went to get all my baking stuff out of the cupboard in the dining room only to find I had every colour of icing to make the Jupiter cake. Now I had everything I had to make that cake it was a sign.

An afternoon of baking followed and to my surprise the cakes turned out perfect, I don'y think it was down to me it was down to our new oven. After a stressful shopping trip to buy last minute birthday presents and balloons. The boys sat in the living room watching a film while Alice watched me decorate cake, she got bored after five minutes and fell asleep. In the end it turned out OK the kids knew it was Jupiter and I didn't feel guilty about not making a cake. I don't know why I haven't made my kids birthday cakes sooner.



Comments

Popular Posts