Starting School - The First Day Tears We Weren't Expecting

Tuesday 5th September 2017 the day our biggest Jellyfish started primary school and we were prepared. Uniform had been bought around four weeks earlier and was ironed and labeled although I did have an unfortunate incident when ironing his name label onto his school tie and melted his tie in the process so we had a mad dash to the school uniform shop the Saturday before school started for a new tie. His summer homework of a 'All about me' book was finished and in his book bag. We were ready.

All Ready


Ethan was very excited. The school had split the reception class into two groups and they were to do alternate mornings and afternoons for the first week and Ethan was in the group that was starting at 1pm not 9am. From the minute he got up he was asking if it was time for school. I tried to drag out every activity to make it last as long as possible but nothing really worked he was like a child waiting for Christmas.

Around midday after eating lunch at 11:30 I finally gave in and let him put his uniform on. In my head it was a task that would keep us busy for about till at least 12:30 but no we were ready by 12:10. Another at least 40 mins of stalling to do. I didn't want to leave too early but living across the road from school has its advantages we were able to look out for other children arriving before we set off.

Alice didn't want to pose


As always getting out with all three kids is a little bit of a logistical nightmare, especially when Oscar wants to run off as soon as he is free so the double buggy would have been the logical choice as he can't run away while I'm trying to comfort Ethan who I was expecting to be clingy and teary. Instead I went for Alice in her buggy and Oscar riding on the buggy board while wearing his reins so I could keep hold of him.

We waiting outside school for around 10 minutes until his teacher came to meet us. The parents were asked to come into the classroom to help the children find where to put coats and bags. As there were a couple of mums with prams there wasn't enough room for me to take Alice's pram inside so parked it up on the decking outside the classroom door along with another couple of prams and took Ethan and Oscar into the classroom.

Ready to go in


We from Ethan's peg, his has a picture of an elephant on and explained that E is for Ethan and also that it is E for elephant. Surprisingly after hanging his stuff up he took himself straight into the classroom. No clinging on and no tears. The problems came as I tried to maneuver Oscar towards the door. He didn't want to leave Ethan. He screamed.

I had no choice but to scoop him up and get him out of there. As we got out of the school yard he was still scooped under my arm still screaming while I was pushing the pram. I tried to put him down to see if he would go back on the buggy board but instead he sat on the ground still screaming and kicked his wellies off. Again I scooped him up and his wellies and made it home. I wonder if I can put it on my CV as a key skill that i can carry a toddler in a full tantrum while pushing a pram.

This is what you look like when your best friend goes to school


Once home he carried on his almighty tantrum, kicking and screaming in the hallway with the occasional sob and shouting 'Ethan gone.' In all the excitement of making sure Ethan was ready for school I had never once considered that Oscar would we losing his best friend. They hadn't been apart since pre-school had finished back in July they had even been going to nursery together. They share a bedroom and a couple of nights the week before we had even found them in the same bed. These were the tears I never expected.

Best Friends - Ethan and Oscar



Comments

Popular Posts